Man who sexually assaulted two teenage girls in the street at night spared jail

Man who sexually assaulted two teenage girls in the street at night spared jail

A drunken man who sexually assaulted two teenage girls in the street at night has been spared jail.

Personal trainer Aaron Olabode repeatedly groped the backside of one of his victims while giving her a fireman’s lift over his shoulder.

The 23-year-old picked up the second girl in a similar way before grabbing her breast.

A court heard the terrified 16 and 17-year-olds, who were unknown to Olabode, sought sanctuary in a nearby Tesco store, only to be followed by him.

Olabode then became angry and aggressive when branded ‘a nut’.

And having been challenged by staff and shoppers, threatened to stab one and punched the store duty manager to his left ear.

Olabode, who had been celebrating his cousin’s baby shower that day, later told police he could not recall the incident, Maidstone Crown Court, Kent, was told.

But on being shown CCTV footage, he was said to be ashamed and embarrassed, and later admitted to a probation officer: “I was stupid. Utter stupidity. I can’t put it into words.”

Olabode, of Charlton, south east London, pleaded guilty to two offences of sexual assault, two of common assault and one of affray.

Imposing a 12-month jail term suspended for 18 months on Friday, Judge Julian Smith said his initial behaviour with the girls had been ‘boorish, overbearing and unwelcome in the extreme’ rather than ‘predatory’.

However, he added it escalated to become ‘crude, inappropriate and sexualised’, and his subsequent aggression was ‘truly frightening’.

The court heard the two girls were walking along a road in Maidstone on November 2 last year when they were approached by Olabode.

His behaviour was said to be ‘unsettling and unwanted’.

He started talking to them, asked their names, kissed each of them on their foreheads, and wanted to know where they were going.

Prosecutor Bridget Todd said that having then put one of the teenager’s in a fireman’s lift, he touched her bottom several times before spinning her around until she felt dizzy.

Said to be nervous and unsure about what to do, she was initially laughing but then insisted he stop grabbing her and put her down.

However, Olabode, who appeared ‘intoxicated and confused’, continued to follow the girls and then picked up the other.

He subsequently asked her for a kiss and grabbed her breast.

The court heard his sexual behaviour turned violent once at the Tesco store.

Olabode shouted threats that he would stab one man who was trying to calm him down, threw a can of Red Bull, and then hit the duty manager.

The court heard Olabode had ‘blacked out’ after drinking heavily that day as a result of seeing his father with whom he had an ‘extremely volatile’ relationship.

Emin Kandola, defending, said he was deeply ashamed and understood the impact on his victims.

“He doesn’t justify his behaviour at all in any way,” she added.

Judge Smith said the combination of offences caused concern but he could take the ‘exceptional’ course of suspending his prison term in light of a realistic prospect of rehabilitation and ‘strong’ personal mitigation.

“A psychiatric report gives a history of a traumatic background and experiences, and an upbringing that is unenviable, and it would be astonishing if it didn’t have an effect on you,” he told Olabode.

Olabode was ordered to complete 180 hours of unpaid work and 30 rehabilitation activity sessions. He must also sign on the sex offenders’ register for 10 years.